500 lbs (1 drum) Food Grade Sodium Hydroxide Lye Micro Beads
Product DetailsSKU: NAOH-500DRUM-FOOD_GRADE UPC: 810068070699
Country of Origin: USA CAS #: 1310-73-2 Harmonized Code: 2815110000 Length (inches): 22.25 Width (inches): 24.25 Height (inches): 35.5 Gross Weight (lb.): 550 Net Weight (lb.): 500 C.O.A. / G.C. Link: https://www.essentialdepot.com/msds/NAOH_COA_FG.jpg Data/Spec Sheet Link: https://www.essentialdepot.com/msds/NaOH_MSDS.pdf
Per Container: 500 lbs of Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) shipped in a drum, sealed with a resealable top (no bung holes).
Unlike most of our competitors who sell technical grade, Essential Depot's lye is Food Grade (lower in impurities) and proudly made in the U.S.A. Use caution when purchasing drain openers from other suppliers. Most drain openers contain other chemicals in addition to the lye. Essential Depot's does not. Those other added chemicals are very undesirable and potentially harmful when used in any food preparation
Food Grade Sodium Hydroxide / Lye. Used for soap or biodiesel when the quality of the caustic is very critical. Also use if: you have been having problems with the consistency of batches, formulate with hard to saponify oil blends, or employ sensitive essential oils. This grade is also Food Codex, FCC, and Kosher, with the Certificate of Analysis below. Can be used for Pretzels, Olives, Lutefisk, Hominy or any other food use.
Batch specific COA available upon request.
- Boiling Point: 2534°F (1390°C)
- Melting Point (crystallization begins): 590-608°F (310- 320°C)
- Specific Gravity: 2.13
- Bulk Density: Compacted 73 lb/ft3, Loose 70 lb/ft3
- pH at 20°C: Strongly Basic
- Solubility in Water: 42 g/100 g water at 0°C (32°F), 347 g/100 g water at 100°C (212°F)
- Solution Rate: Twice as fast as flake
- Refractive Index: 1.3576
- Particle Shape: Spherical, evenly sized
- Friability: Very Low as well as Very Low Dust
This product is designated by FDA as a food additive Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) when used in accordance with good manufacturing practices (21 CFR 184.1763).
Food Chemical Codex listed, it is specifically approved for use per the following FDA citations:
- 21 CFR 172.892 (Food Starch-Modified, modified up to 1%),
- 21 CFR173.310 (Boiler Water Additive),
- 21 CFR 177.1600 (Polyethylene Resins, Carboxyl Modified).
The equipment used in manufacture does not come into contact with or contain any animal by-products/fats/products; therefore, according to the OU current policies caustic soda is acceptable for use in Kosher-related activities without certification.
Acceptable for Halal consideration. Does not contain alcohol, natural L-cysteine extracted from hair or feathers, animal fats and/or extracts, blood, blood plasma, or pork/or other meat byproducts. Alcohol is not used as a processing aid.
Not tested on animals since 12.31.1990.
Not of animal origin and does not contribute to BSE.
No nutritional value.
Shipping via Freight Service (included in price).
THIS SHIPMENT IS CLASSIFIED AS HAZARDOUS MATERIALS. OUR PACKAGING MEETS ALL APPLICABLE REQUIREMENTS OF THE US DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION. WE ARE A CERTIFIED SHIPPER AND SEND THIS PRODUCT IN SAFE AND LEGAL PACKAGING BY A LEGAL CARRIER.
ESSENTIAL DEPOT IS A CERTIFIED SHIPPER AND SEND THIS PRODUCT IN SAFE AND LEGAL PACKAGING BY A LEGAL CARRIER.
- Soap and Detergent - saponifies fats into water-soluble sodium soaps.
- Food and Dairy - used in various food processing methods which includes washing and chemical peeling of fruits and vegetables, poultry, soft drink, chocolate processing, cocoa processing, and thickening ice cream.
- Metal Cleaning - clean metals by saponifying surface oils to create a thin soapy layer, etches the surface of certain types of metals, important preparatory step in many welding or painting applications.
- Textile Treatment - aid in scouring, bleaching and neutralizing during textile processing.
- General and Industrial Cleaning - strong base used as an alkali source in cleaning agents. As such, it can dissolve grease, oils, fats and protein based deposits. Used also, for example, to clean and prepare sheet steel in galvanizing plants as well as being a chief ingredient for drain pipe cleaners.
- Biodiesel and Bioethanol - catalyst for the transesterification of methanol and triglycerides as well as for pH adjustment and formation of in situ sodium methylate to prevent the formation of soap due to the presence of water.
- Chemical Production - as a reactive intermediate and catalyst in chemical production as well as in chemical processing plants for scrubbing and drying.
- General Industrial - in the manufacture of products ranging from glue, gelatin, grease, and cosmetics to dry batteries, agricultural products, paint, and varnish removers.
- Petroleum Exploration - treating agent in oil well drilling fluids to increase viscosity which prevents heavier materials from settling.
Here is a typical Certificate of Analysis for the Sodium Hydroxide products:
It is vitally important that you use only quality Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) when making soap. Essential Depot’s Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) is manufactured in the U.S.A. by a very large reputable chemical company. The manufacturer’s specification is 96% minimum Sodium Hydroxide strength. The typical Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) strength received from the manufacturer by Essential Depot is between 98% and 99.9%. Sodium Hydroxide from China or Mexico can vary by greater percentages.
Essential Depot has filled over 100,000 orders from soap makers with its high-quality U.S.A. made Food Grade Sodium Hydroxide (Lye). This has enabled Essential Depot to offer the better quality product at a lower price than its competitors.
With much input from our most experienced soapmakers, Essential Depot has been able to identify the many possible causes of the rare bad batch of soap. Click these links to review:
Soap Making has been going on in peoples’ kitchens, barns, and yards for over 100 years. At GreenerLifeClub.com we wanted to share these 5 great vintage pamphlets from the early 1900’s. Each contains some very interesting facts and usage information about Lye. Enjoy! Click here to view and download Vintage Lye pamphlets.